Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Recording Plans and Other Updates


I'm starting to get back into making some recording after taking a few weeks off. The current tune was inspired by a mic that I've always wanted (and now I have two): the ElectroVoice 664. They came out in the 1950's as a pretty standard vocal mic for PAs and live events, but they also have a place in many studio recordings. They work well on drums, guitar, even vocals, much like a Shure 57, but about 100 times cooler looking. Plus they weigh a ton, which always means quality. Or something. Did I mention they're cheap and plentiful?
There are a few downsides if you're thinking about picking one up. Firstly, the connector is not a standard XLR, but rather a 4-pin Cannon connector. If possible, make sure a cable comes with the mic, or you're looking at about $50 for a replacement. One cable I have allows the Cannon connector to split open, so you can change the pin connections from Hi-Z (for plugging in to an amp - think harmonica) to Lo-Z (for plugging into a mic pre-amp or mixer). The other cable is not so adjustable, so I still need to do some work on it.
The other downside is the frequency response, which gets a little hairy at the low end. There is another EV model called the 666 (!) which apparently is great on bass or kick drums, but they are rarer and much more expensive. The two 664's I have averaged $50 each, while a 666 will be closer to $200.

Anyway, the track I'm finishing off uses the 664 on almost every instrument. I'll post a sample soon.

No comments: